Tuesday, March 20, 2012

TWD: Irish Soda Bread

TWD:  Irish Soda Bread

I was pleasantly surprised with this recipe.  I've only had Irish soda bread a couple of times and I cannot say that it was all that memorable. Hey, sorry but I'm half Italian, a quarter Polish and a quarter Canadian French! This ended up really fantastic and I'm pretty eager to try other versions.  I wanted Nathan and Sarah to try our final product and I thought the recipe was too plain even with lots of butter, so we added three tablespoons of sugar and the zest of about one and a half lemons to half of the recipe and then to the other half cranberries in addition to the sugar and lemon.



Both Nathan and Sarah helped stir and then knead the dough.  But I think they actually got a little bored it was easier than making waffles! They are Broad Brook Bakers and all!






They don't look like much going in the oven but they came out crunchy and golden.









We ate after only about five minutes of sitting. Really great with butter! Nathan, Sarah and I pretty much munched on this all Sunday evening, pretty much constituting our dinner.


n



Nathan finished off the simple lemon version the next day. I placed in the toaster to heat and freshen up.

That's signing off for March.  See you in April!

2 comments:

  1. I am also half Italian, quarter polish and quarter French/English. Love the addition of lemon zest. To me it makes anything better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that for most of us, our experiences with soda bread in the past have been less than exemplary.
    The lemon zest addition was a nice touch

    ReplyDelete