Wednesday, June 6, 2012

TWD: Oasis Naan

TWD: Oasis Naan


We made this recipe on June 2, Sarah's 6th birthday!  It was a family affair because Sarah's great-grandmother, Polly  was here, also great-uncle Mike, Gramma Ginny, Uncle Chris, Nathan, Dad and me, Mom.




The dough was really easy to put together.  The simple ingredients reminded me of the Irish Soda Bread. 



And so did the stirring.  Sarah liked counting to 100.  Always a fun math game to be found!



I used a lot of flour during the kneading.  The dough was so soft and a pleasure to work with. Wonderful yeasty smell.



Our dough rose more than double in less than an hour and a half.  It must have been that perfect temperature and humidity in the house.




I divided the dough into eight pieces and we all took at least one to prepare how we wanted.  A few were made using the exact recipe.  We harvested fresh red onion from our garden.   Polly added poppy seeds to the mix.  Grandma Ginny and Uncle Chris enjoyed theirs dipped in olive oil and hummus.


I made a cinnamon and sugar naan.  I had some left over cinnamon and sugar from the Rugelach recipe!  The sweet naan was a treat.  Out of the oven it had that sweet fried dough from-a-county-fair kind of taste.


Jason and I favorite was one topped with olive oil, thinly sliced onion with fresh thyme.




Fresh red onion, cumin, salt.



Nathan and Sarah made a pizza with their naan. 

The Broad Brook Bakers are particularly excited about June's next recipe because it includes strawberries.  Strawberries are Sarah's all time favorite food.


Until next time.






3 comments:

  1. How fun that you guys made these as a family! I should have halved my recipe as I had a lot of leftover naan but I really enjoyed making them and hosting. Now on to Strawberry Cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I love all the variations. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun time!
    Happy birthday to Miss Sarah - six is such a nice age. My Sarah just turned 18 :-(

    ReplyDelete