Monday, June 18, 2012

TWD: French Strawberry Cake



Starts out all innocent.  This cake lures me in.  If you follow the directions, it will not go wrong it says. 



Melted butter. Check. Sifted flour. Check.




Apron time.  Sarah helped cut the strawberries with her kid's knife.



She did an excellent job.  She's a real chef so she tries the strawberries as she works. Checking the quality of course. These were native strawberries from Dzen's in Ellington, CT. Peak of season.




Loves to crack eggs, my Sarah.  Not too many shells this time.



I probably beat for about 7 minutes in all for the egg to get to the ribbon stage.



Poured in the pan.  At this point, I'm getting nervous.  My cake appears deflated and I did have a considerable amount of trouble incorporating the flour with the beaten eggs. 



Out of the oven and cooling.  My nervous has given away to deepening disappointment.  The time has come when I've not successfully pulled off a TWD recipe.  My cake is dense. Dense to the touch and then when I cut in half it reveals much of what I expected.  I did not incorporate the flour mixture and possible the butter properly.  I did not take a picture of the gory details.



I whipped up the cream which is incredible.  My husband said that this was the best whipped cream he's ever tasted.  He does not care for sour cream and could not believe that this was the secret ingredient.  He wants this to be our go-to whipped cream for berries recipe.


Just because I messed up the cake does not mean that I can't make it look good.  I cut off the very top of the cake and cut it with a biscuit cutter.  This part of the cake was light and fluffy, so I made four individual desserts.



Nathan had four helpings of just the strawberries and cream.  He made a whipped cream goatee. 



Had to show off the raised beds Jason built this year.


The mint leaf was straight from our garden. The mint is called Mojito Beverage Mint.  Nathan used the mint as a spoon for the cream. The taste of mint with the cream was great.


Until next month.




3 comments:

  1. Totally sympathize... I had the same result with mine!!! I actually pitched my first attempt and made a second one that came out *slightly* better. It was by no means fabulous, but it was edible... ah well! We tried :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hear you. In the words of House : "Everybody lies" - I believe this particularly applies to "simple" recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made it look beautiful! So jealous of your raised beds.

    ReplyDelete