Monday, March 4, 2013

TWD: Croissants

I should not have been so scared of making croissants all these years. It was an investment of time but we did not find them to be overly complicated to make.

This was more of a family affair than usual; we were all Broad Brook Bakers this time around.  My husband and mother-in-law serving as photographers as well as assisting in parts of the croissant making. The kids as usual loved the dough making especially.

Nathan and Sarah are watching the video of Julia and Esther McManus. This video was so helpful every step of the way.



We did not have a problem finding the yeast at our local market (Big Y.)


















This was lots of fun and remarkably easier than I thought it would be; thought I would have butter all over the place.









Bought chocolate batons and almond filling from King Arthur Flour.







Our croissants did not look like they came straight out of a professional bakery but they were pretty in their own handmade way.





Well worth the time and investment.  Honestly, these were the best croissants I've had next to my memory of when I did my study-abroad in Paris.  I highly recommend the chocolate batons from King Arthur.  The chocolate was perfect, not too sweet, exactly how I remember. We ate the bulk of them for lunch along with cheese (fromage!), ham (jambon!) and strawberries (fraises!).  We felt very French.

A bientot!

Broad Brook Bakers 

6 comments:

  1. We used the batons as well - they work very nicely in croissants.
    Looks like a fun family project - and thwacking the dough with the rolling pin did bring a bit of satisfaction, didn't it?

    Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. I intend to make chocolate and almond croissants with my remaining half of dough and now I wish they were already made so I could go run and eat one! My mouth waters at yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to make this a family affair! Love all your pics. Your croissants look great. You and your family should be very proud of doing such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely croissants, they sound delicious. I think next time I'll try to find chocolate batons too. Yours look very professional!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love seeing the kids in the kitchen! I am so glad you include them in your baking adventures. You are making memories that will last a lifetime! Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete