Tuesday, February 7, 2012

TWD: White Loaves

It's broad brook baker's first post on Tuesdays with Dorie: Baking with Julia!

Sarah and I worked on this one together.  I must admit that I've probably made this recipe at least a dozen times, but I think all the success should be attributed to this is simply a great recipe.  I've had my KitchenAid mixer for ten years; my husband and I placed on our wedding registry. I was wondering if perhaps this mixer was finally showing its age. But,


I noticed in reading other posts that plenty of you experienced, as I did, the struggle of the mixer during the kneading.  I added a tablespoon or so of water early on and that seemed to make it a little better.   Once we added the butter, the mixer had a much easier time.  Next time I might cut the recipe in half and make one loaf at a time.


I placed a rubber band over the plastic wrap to get a real tight seal, that seemed to really help in the rise.  


This was Sarah's favorite part! Except of course eating!

  


I know it did not call for slits in the bread but I always think this just looks so much nicer.  I let rise a little longer than the directions because the first time I did the finger press check it was not ready yet.  We ate some warm out of the oven and then the next day for toast.  The toast is perfection.  My Nona used to bake homemade bread every day.  On Sundays after church, my dad would bring us to visit and we would have toast and hot chocolate with Creamora in it.  God that was amazing, this gets pretty darn close.  I had this toast this past Sunday with espresso, so good!

Nathan will be my sous on the 21st bake, check us out again then.



1 comment: