Sunday, January 20, 2013

TWD: French Apple Tart

Having flipped through the pages of Baking with Julia for years, this is one of those recipes that I longed to make but just never got to it until now. I bought a bag of granny smiths and had four others in my refrigerator as these are a go-to-snack for Nathan before his indoor soccer games.




I like making this flaky pastry crust by hand.  It is really easy in the food processor but sometimes it's just fun to get messy.




I made the filling using the six apples as suggested.  I happen to have a deeper tart pan so I ended up having to make a second batch of the filling. Good thing that I bought that whole bad of granny smiths.  The ones I had were not that big so in the end I was not too surprised I needed to use more.  Apple slices were also getting eaten by Sarah and her friend!




I used rice (no dried beans in the house) to blind bake the crust.




I was running low on apples.  I hoped that the two I had left would do the trick and miraculously it did.  I was not able to make that nice center piece but I think it still came out nice.




I had to bake my tart for about 45 minutes because of the extra amount of filling.  




I love when I get to use this plate.  My mom bought it ages ago on the Cape in Brewster, MA at a shop called Snydenstriker (http://www.sydenstricker.com/) that makes pressed glass dishes and platters.  This one has this beautiful yet simple peacock feather pattern.  When we were teenagers, it drove my brother and I crazy to have to stop every year at this place.  She would spend what felt like hours there.  I appreciate it now.




We served the tart only slightly warm with a dollop of whipped cream.  It was wonderfully tart.  Sarah loved the crust as she does with all pie. Nathan had eaten too much dinner as usual so loved it but could not finish.  Jason is not a sweet tooth so for him so this was perfect.  I would make this again and serve with homemade vanilla bean ice cream.  I love the mashed apple layer.  I like apple pie when the apples are really soft.  This tart is beautiful and hits the right balance of sweet and tart.



Looking forward to celebrating next month which will be the one-year mark participating in this baking group!

Cheers,
Broad Brook Baker





4 comments:

  1. Very nice (and that plate is beautiful - isn't it great when you get to use your favorite pieces?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post. And your tart looks fabulous. That is a lovely deep tart pan. The plate is beautiful to show off your tart on. Funny how we appreciate things when we're all grown up! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely all around! A beautiful job you've done with this tart - the color looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out perfect! This was a tasty tart and deserves a repeat.

    ReplyDelete